Animal Spirits Book Review

 

Animal Spirits,

Why Psychology matters in Macroeconomics

Today I finished the book “Animal Spirits” written by George Akerlof (hey, Berkeley faculty) and Robert Shiller. I will go through a quick summary followed by my thoughts on the book as a whole

Summary

The premise of the book is quite simple: macroeconomic theory is based on a set of obtuse assumptions, thus lessening the validity of such a theory. Shiller and Akerlof use data and anecdotes to originate a new set of driving forces for economies today, the titular ‘animal spirits’ first referenced by John Meynard Keynes. They breakdown animal spirits into the following five categories which, when analyzed in sum with macroeconomic theory provide a framework for thinking about macroeconomics

1.       Confidence: recessions are in large part due to a los of consumer and business confidence which decreases spending and output. The reverse also holds true

2.       Corruption: economic downturns can almost always be explained in part by corruption at a federal level and shirking of legalities

3.       Fairness: A sense of fairness underlies all economic negotiations and drives the microeconomic transaction which in turn make up macroeconomic trends

4.       Stories: Narratives play a large part in driving behavior as people are swayed by compelling stories even when confronted with facts

5.       Money illusion: the nominal value of money is psychologically used rather than the real value of money. This coupled with loss aversion is a powerful tool that underpins most wage arguments

Review

The book was short, but I still could not read it intensely all the way through. The book was broken into two parts, one to explan the above five forces and the other to answer various questions about macroeconomics using the framework they laid out. The issue lies in the binary nature of complex economic thoughts interspersed with overly obvious conclusions drawn from the above five principles. The framework laid out by Shiller and Akerlof is extremely compelling, but their application of the principles fell short of what I was expecting.

Overall, what I took away from the book were the five principles. They can be used to analyzed most major news stories and I find it interesting to use their framework in everyday life to see life through a different perspective. If you enjoy macroeconomics and long discussions about wages, unemployment, inflation, and recessions, I suggest you read the book as it does delve deep into the development and validation of their theory. I also suspect macroeconomists enjoyed their application of theory more than I did.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TransMedics (Nasdaq:TMDX), A catalyst upcoming

Myomo Thesis(MYO)